International Online Summer Course
Disability and Lifespan Development: Indonesia and Global Perspectives
Collaborating with Indonesia and global experts on disability studies, the Summer Course on Disability and Lifespan Development in Indonesia and Global Perspectives will serve as a channel to facilitate critical learning to unpack and understand intersecting barriers dealt by people with disabilities and encourage knowledge and practice sharing and debates, while building network, between experienced and young scientists in the field of disability studies, which will inspire creations of new research initiatives and field applications.
- Participants are able to critically identify and understand the evolving disability concept and the intersection of contextual factors hindering meaningful participation of people with disabilities theoretically and in practice.
- Participants are able to comprehend different methodological approaches of engaging people with disabilities in knowledge production and breaking down hindering contextual factors.
- Participants are able to network with experienced scholars in disability studies and engage in conversations that enhance their academic journey.
- Participants are able to form collaborative learning and work in international, multidisciplinary, and multicultural settings.
- Participants are able to develop and present research ideas in scientific language, and able to provide input to others in critical and appreciative manners.
Time and Place
3 August – 14 October 2021 via Zoom Meeting, ELOK, and Google Classroom.
List of Speakers
|Prof. Dan Goodley||The University of Sheffield||United Kingdom (UK)|
|Prof. Gavin Sullivan||Coventry University||United Kingdom (UK)|
|Prof. Katrina |
|University College |
|United Kingdom (UK)|
|Prof. Iva Strnadová*)||University of New |
|Prof. Laura Stough||Texas |
|United States of America (USA)|
|Dr. Renske Ria |
|Saxion University of Applied Sciences||Netherlands|
|Prof. Irwanto*)||Universitas Katolik Indonesia Atma Jaya||Indonesia|
|Dr. Supra Wimbarti||Universitas Gadjah Mada||Indonesia|
|Dr. Elga Andriana||Universitas Gadjah Mada||Indonesia|
|Prof. Gwynnyth |
|The University of |
|Prof. David |
|The University of Sydney||Australia|
|Prof. Missy |
|University of Auckland||New Zealand|
|Dr. Sheelagh Daniels-Mayes*)||The University of Sydney||Australia|
|Herbert Klein*)||British Society for Mental Health and Deafness||United Kingdom (UK)|
|Dr. Dina Afrianty||La Trobe University||Australia|
|Dr. Sutarsa Nyoman||Australian National |
|Dr. Michelle Bonati||State University of New |
|United States of America (USA)|
|Dr. Hasrul Hosshan||Sultan Idris Education |
|Dr. Wuri Handayani*)||Universitas Gadjah Mada||Indonesia|
|Ms Julie Loblinzk*)||Self-Advocacy Sydney; University of New South Wales||Australia|
|Dr. Arina Hayati||Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember||Indonesia|
*) Self-identified individual with disabilities
|Tuesday, 3 August 2021||16.30 - 17.00 (GMT+7)||Opening: Welcome remark from the Dean of Faculty of Psychology and introduction to Summer Course by Head of CLSD.||Prof. Faturochman and Dr. Elga Andriana|
|Tuesday, 3 August 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Keynote Session. Lecture: Disability and other human questions.||Prof. Dan Goodley|
|Thursday, 5 August 2021||14.00 - 16.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Disability and intersectionality.||Dr. Sheelagh Daniels-Mayes|
|Tuesday, 10 August 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||This lecture has been moved to Module 5, on the 8th of October, 16.00 - 18.00 (GMT +7)||POSTPONED|
|Thursday, 12 August 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination faced by people with intellectual disabilities and their families.||Prof. Katrina Scior|
|Friday, 13 August 2021||via ELOK||Weekly assignment/discussion via ELOK Module 1: Understanding disability and intersectionality.||Course Fasilitator|
|Tuesday. 17 August 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Women's living with disability among Moslem society.||Dr. Dina Afrianty and Dr. Arina Hayati|
|Thursday, 19 August 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Mental Health for Deaf People in Indonesia.||Herbert Klein|
|Tuesday, 24 August 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: People with disabilities and socioeconomic.||Dr. Wuri Handayani|
|Thursday, 26 August 2021||16.00 - 18.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Biomedical power in shaping body with illness and disability.||Dr. Sutarsa Nyoman|
|Friday, 27 August 2021||via ELOK||Weekly assignment/discussion via ELOK Module 2: People with disability at the intersection.||Course Fasilitator|
|Tuesday, 31 August 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Children with disabilities and life-span development issues.||Prof. Irwanto|
|Friday, 3 September 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Learning disability and neuropsychology.||Dr. Supra Wimbarti|
|Tuesday, 7 September 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Language and speech development.||Dr. Renske Ria de Leeuw|
|Friday, 10 September 2021||via ELOK||Explanation of students research project and group formation.||Course Fasilitator|
|Thursday, 16 September 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Disability and family.||Prof. Gwynnyth Llewellyn|
|Friday, 17 September 2021||16.00 - 18.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Self determination and agency in children and youth voices.||Dr. Elga Andriana|
|Friday, 17 September 2021||via ELOK||Weekly assignment/discussion via ELOK Module 3: Disability across lifespan development.||Course Fasilitator|
|Tuesday, 21 September 2021||19.00 - 21.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Disability-inclusive Disaster Risk and children with disabilities||Prof. Laura Stough|
|Friday, 24 September 2021||via ELOK||Student-led discussion: research project and preparation for student-led conference.||Course Fasilitator|
|Tuesday, 28 September 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: School participation of children with intellectual disabilities in Malaysia.||Dr. Hasrul Hosshan|
|Wednesday, 29 September 2021||16.00 - 18.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Universal design for Learning in school setting||Prof. David Evans|
|Thursday, 30 September 2021||13.00 - 15.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Enabling life-span pedagogical mesosystem for children with disabilities.||Prof. Missy Morton|
|Friday, 1 October 2021||via ELOK||Weekly assignment/discussion via ELOK. Module 4: Collaborative disability and lifespan development research in multicultural setting.||Course Fasilitator|
|Monday, 4 October 2021||17.00 - 19.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Collective emotion of people with disabilities through collective activism.||Prof. Gavin Sullivan|
|Tuesday, 5 October 2021||16.00 - 18.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Co-researching with people with disabilities .||Prof. Iva Strnadová|
|Wednesday, 6 October 2021||15.00 - 17.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Co-researching with people with disabilities .||Prof. Iva Strnadová and Julia Loblinzk|
|Thursday, 7 October 2021||18.00 - 20.00 (GMT +7)||Lecture: Research involving people with disabilities in service learning in community.||Dr. Michelle Bonati|
|12 and 14 October 2021||TBA.||Student-led conference and closing ceremony.|
All sessions will be delivered in English. Sign language interpretation and closed captioning will be provided.
Participants and Fees
This course is targeted for students at all levels and degrees (undergraduate, Master, and PhD), academics, early-career researchers, practitioners from international and local organizations who work with people with disabilities in research and community intervention.
The course (full participation with credits) is limited to 70 students (international and domestic) at any degree. Other interested participants (students at all degrees, academics, ECRs, and professionals) can register their participation for full attendance (without credits) or each individual session of the Summer Course (fee applies). The following fees apply for full participation and individual session in the course:
- Full participation
- Indonesian students (S1) : IDR 1,500,000
- International students (bachelor) : USD 150
- Indonesian student non-S1, academics, ECRs, and professionals: IDR 2,000,000
- International students (non-bachelor) : USD 250
- International academics, ECRs, and professionals: USD 300
- Individual session
- Indonesian students (all degrees) : IDR 200,000
- Indonesian academics, ECRs, and professionals : IDR 250,000
- International students (all degrees) : USD 25
- International academics, ECRs, and professionals: USD 40
Scholarships are available for participants wishing to register their full participation with credits only:
- ASEAN Students and students with disabilities: students from ASEAN Countries and students with disabilities will be eligible to apply for a limited number of scholarships (Free Course Fee), on a competitive basis for 20 students.
- Students with disabilities: other students with disabilities who have not received full scholarships will be eligible for 50% of the course fee.
- 50% partial scholarship for eligible Indonesian students (exclusively for undergraduate psychology students of Universitas Gadjah Mada) and Indonesian professionals working in disability and inclusion issues.
- Non-ASEAN Students (Asian, Australian, European, African and American Students) will be eligible for the scholarship for the Course (Free Course Fee), on a competitive basis for 20 students.
Admission and Registration
The entire admission and registration processes are done through:
The overall course duration is 143 hours or equal to 3 credits/SKS (Indonesia). Upon completion of the course, participants will be provided with a certificate outlining the course program and hours with possible credit transfer for students of all degrees. Should you wish to register for transferable credit, please ensure that your institution accepts credit transfer from Universitas Gadjah Mada Indonesia.